05.26.2022 | 1:00 AM | SANTA ANA – A felon previously convicted of felony assault is facing a slew of new charges after striking children walking to school with their grandparents in a bizarre incident, authorities said.
Jason Carlos Guzman, 26, of Valencia, is facing seven felony counts of premeditated attempted murder, seven felony counts of assault with a deadly weapon, three felony counts of hit and run with injury, and three felony counts of child abuse.
He has also been charged with one felony count of possession of a flammable liquid, one misdemeanor count of brandishing a deadly weapon, and one misdemeanor count of hit and run with property damage after the bizarre incident near Taft Elementary School, located in the 500 block of Keller Avenue, on May 23, 2022.
Authorities say Guzman, a previously convicted felon, was first spotted by a staff member at Taft Elementary School around 8:00 AM. Guzman said he was going to use the school bathroom but the staff member told to Guzman to leave and he complied.
Shortly after that encounter Guzman entered a red Mazda Protégé and collided with a parking barrier in the school parking lot before accelerating onto a sidewalk and crashing into a group of children walking to school.
Three girls from the group – an 11-year-old, a 9-year-old, and a 6-year-old – flew into the air as a result of the impact but Guzman fled in his vehicle. He then struck a SUV driven by a woman and occupied by her 11-year-old daughter.
Another mother who had been following Guzman from the school confronted him and he brandished a knife at her. When the mother fled Guzman apparently injured himself using the knife.
Several incendiary devices were discovered in Guzman’s vehicle but rendered safe by bomb squad officials, authorities added.
If convicted on all charges Guzman could face 49 years to life in prison with an additional six years in state prison and another year in county jail.